When I setup a new computer, every once in a while I come across problems while using Windows Update to get the latest patches and hotfixes from Microsoft. I did not think much of it in the past, since we have software that manages patches and automatically installs updates from Microsoft.
Recently, one of our customers called because they were unable to install their updates, which was something they did to “check their computer’s health.” Windows Update would be able to find updates the computer needed without a problem. However, when they tried to install them, they would receive an error code 80246008, which it reported as an “unknown error.”
I did some digging and tried quite a few different fixes before finding one that worked perfectly:
- Go to Start> All Programs> Accessories
- Right-click on the Command Prompt and choose Run as Administrator
- Copy and paste the following command into the window:
sc create BITS binpath= "c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs" start= delayed-auto
- Once it finishes, go to Start>Control Panel> Administrative Tools> Services
- Find the BITS service and start it
Windows Update should now be able to find, download and install updates with no errors.